Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Kitchen Tales Episode 7: Homemade Pizza

I have been wanting to make my very own pizza for years. The only setback is I have no idea how to make the dough. I don't like the idea of kneading and tossing the dough and making an awful mess in the kitchen.

One day, almost twin and I were having a chat and I mentioned that I really wanted to try to make my own pizza, which includes a dough that is no-fuss. She gave me a dough recipe that is so easy to make that it's scary. It's Olive Oil No-Knead Dough. I mixed all the ingredients in 10 minutes flat and all I had to do was wait for the dough to rest for a couple of hours.

After two hours, I looked at my bowl and saw that my dough doubled. When I dusted my kitchen bench with flour to stretch and roll the dough, I found it pliable and the consistency was perfect! I don't have a pizza stone or a pizza pan so I arranged the dough on a baking sheet as thinly as I can. I decided to make a Margarita Pizza - drizzled a bit of olive oil on the dough, used canned diced tomatoes as a base, dried oregano, sliced gourmet tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. I baked the pizza for 10 minutes in a 250 - 300 degree fan forced oven for 10 minutes.

The result? Is this...



After having homemade pizza, I will never go back!


No Knead Pizza Dough

2 3/4 cups lukewarm water
1 1/2 tablespoons granulated yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
6 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour

Mix the yeast, salt, sugar and olive oil with the water in a bowl. Mix in the flour without kneading using a large wooden spoon. Cover (not airtight) and allow to rest at room temperature for about 2 hours.

10 comments:

  1. wow - this pizza dough looks great - I just made pizza dough on the weekend but am on the look out for other ideas and I want to try this - hope you don't mind me posting a link to this post to remind myself

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow great job on the yummy pizza and I love your blog Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a wonderful dough!! My husband and I love thin crust pizza!! A must try. Thanks Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’d like to personally invite you to join the CookEatShare Author network. CookEatShare has had over 2.5 million unique visitors in 2009, and I think they will be interested in your content. Users will be guided to your actual blog, so this is a free way to increase page views and visitors to your site.

    Please contact me at mary@cookeatshare.com for more information, to get unique link to claim and customize your profile. Please visit http://cookeatshare.com/blogs/apply for additional information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello!! My name is SIMAUMA. I write blog about the food.Please look.And I am glad if I link to your blog. (URL)http://food-collection-simauma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Homemade pizza is the greatest! And it's so much cheaper, too! (Hi from the Foodie Blogroll!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have done a great job. The pizza is very delicious too. Can it compete with the Best Pizza in Melbourne in taste?

    ReplyDelete